Thursday 4 May 2017

In order to find balance, we must first find self-love


 "For you created my inmost being;  you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful,  I know that full well" 

Psalm 139:13-14


How can we not read this passage and not believe we are truly glorious creatures?


Self-love to me means loving all of who I am from the inside out. Easier said than done! I bet you have no problem loving and appreciating these beautiful humans you teach, so turn to a mirror and look at yourself, can you say the same? Why not? Let's fix that! We as teachers are THE MOST important. Don't believe me, ask the experts?

Hattie & his meta analysis tells us we as teachers are the absolute most important person in the lives of a student when we measure their academic success. Our influence is vast and deep so when your students, your children, look up at you do they see the self-doubt, fear, and insecurity of an educator who feels they will never do enough of being enough? Or do they instead see someone who practices self-love experiences daily. Someone whose cup is full and ready to be poured into those around them. I've recently come to realize that our minds require exercise just as do our bodies and this soul work means we must constantly engage in healthy practices like meditation, mantra speaking, positive self-take in order to work to be kind, generous and compassionate with ourselves.

I've rejoined a 'book' group that recently engaged in a values activity by Brené Brown, one in which we were to organize and analyze and find patterns to help be our lamp, our light in our own dark times. During this exercise, some of the other women were asking about words about values that were missing. Words describing marriage, or romance or child rearing - very important pieces that make up their value system. I was completely taken a back because I had not even considered such aspects. When confronted with this fact I realized I was partaking in this activity through the lens of my own self-love, ME and only me. Selfish? It sure felt so when I said it out loud but then I realized that everybody around me, my sweet angel babies, my partner, my students, my family, my friends, my colleagues, etc., etc., etc., EVERYONE is illuminated by my brilliant light when it is shining brightly within my soul self.

When I am calm, and content and self-loved, I am so patient and kind and compassionate with my students and they, in turn, are generous of heart with their classmates and will have more mental space to give their focus and attention to our curriculum. This just makes sense! I know this is true because on those days I am present and seeing and hearing the hearts and minds of my class, they are relaxed and engaged. On others when I am feeling the pressure of time and curriculum and expectations I have set for myself, NO one is riding the wave. No one is learning.

As I return back to work after 18 months I will be put to the test. It is very easy to sit in my ivory tower of blog and write about how zen I plan on being. The challenge will be 'having it all.' All of which I will define in a future post. For now. Think about what you can do today to love yourself. Here are my go-to's. 

✅   Feed my body - whole foods, water, greens, protein
✅   Feed my muscles - moksha yoga, running, biking, swimming, fitnessblender.com
✅   Feed my soul - podcasts (e.g., earn your happy), inspirational books (Love Warrior by Gennon Doyle Melton), meditation, mantra repetition (i.e, I am enough, I am enough), write
✅   Connect - time out with my partner or friends



No comments:

Post a Comment